Lights started flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 2 bedroom flat. We recently has a ehxaust fan installed in the bathroom. The power to the fan goes from the bathroom light bulb fitting. Since then the bathroom light flickers and also the kitchen hood light. The probem might be somewhere else but we havent got any other electrical work done in the house so its a layman's observation (me)

Is there is a connection between them two and how can I try to fix it. I am newbie at electrics so pls use simple words whilst answering.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Who did the work to fit it?

It was a guy recommended by someone but frankly it seemed his knowledge of electrics seemed a bit limited. He was sort of a handyman I guess.
You need to get him back to do the job properly it sounds like there could be a loose connection that will eventually cause you problems.
You should be able to isolate the shower through the fused connection unit he fitted though this may take out your bathroom light or through the three pole isolator - if the extractor has a timer.
I take it you never got a electrical installation certificate or minor works certificate showing you the test results.

Sponsored Links
In the first instance if I was looking at this I'd check how the fan has been connected to see if there are any loose connections. Pictures always help

You do need to make sure the circuit is switched off to do this safely

In the first instance if I was looking at this I'd check how the fan has been connected to see if there are any loose connections. Pictures always help

You do need to make sure the circuit is switched off to do this safely

I will try to check the wires and try to get a picture tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back