lightswitch double 2way wiring up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Hoping some spark out there will know the answer

I have to change an old ‘light switch facing’. The switch has two on/off switches on it.
I bought a new 2 way light switch facing. It has two of 1 way terminals, two of 2 way terminals and two off common terminals.

But the old switch has 4 of 1 way terminals, 4 of 2 way terminals and all the wires are red.
View media item 6204View media item 6204View media item 6205View media item 6206View media item 6207View media item 6208
I am totally confused to way to wire it up.

Please see the diagrams attached to help understand what I mean.

Sponsored Links
I see no diagrams

a photo of the existing switch might be help.

PS DO NOT DISCONNECT THE OLD SWITCH YET or you'll need a sparky on site.

It looks like the old switch is a 2 gang intermediate being used as a 2 way switch.

Label all the wires before you remove anything

In your sketch of the old switch, the two terminal 1s at the bottom with the link between them are equivalent to the Common terminals.

The top 1s and 2s in your old sketch are equivalent to the 1 way and 2 way at the bottom of your new sketch.

If one of the new switches works 'upside down' afterwards, swap over wires on 1 and 2.

I found your pictures in your album. If you edit your original post and uncheck the "Disable BBCode in this post" box the pictures should show.

View media item 6205
Turn your new switch in the picture above the other way up, and wire it as in your drawing below. Ignore the terminals at the bottom marked 2. In other words the '1' at the bottom of your old switch is COM on your new switch.

View media item 6206
EDIT: Bah must type faster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Mr Taylorcities
Mr TicklyT
Mr Mikeyd

Will power off at the weekend and give this a try

Cheers

Just noticed;

Do i need to run that little bit of red loop wire from common to common as well?

Thanks mikeyd, waiting to try all this advise, when i can get a change in daylight to turn off the power,this weekend
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back