Lightweight concrete blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys,

My brick layer has sent me out to get lightweight concrete blocks for the outside leaf of my cavity wall.

Every builders yard I went to today took me to thermolights, which are not for the outside leaf are they?

It was either those or the same medium density blocks that we used below damp which you can’t pick up with one hand!
Can anyone point me in the right direction or if I’m asking for the wrong thing??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
On our latest project, we used 7n fibolites on the outer leaf. Almost as light as 3.5n fibo's but with the strength and resistance you would expect or require from an external facing block. Absolutely brilliant! I managed to build both leaves of a 7.7m x 3.7m gable in one weekend during high winds (last Sat) too. A little bit pricey but well worth it.

Absolute boon.

Use lightweight (3.5N) concrete blocks for outside leafs not thermolite or similar AAC blocks.

The render will actually stick to these.

Sponsored Links
The render will actually stick to these.
External finish boys (polymer render types) hate 3.5n fellas. Too much suction. All the render companies I've worked with express a preference for the 7n dense jobbies. The 7n fibloites offer similar resistance to suction whilst being lightweight, compact and offer a very good surface. I'm very impressed.

Thanks guys, at least I know I’m not asking for something that isn’t available!

Just seems no one down here supply them!

I've just had a look a fibolites and I have used those but did not know their name, I just thought they were concrete blocks.

I agree that they are great to use and an excellent base for render.

I just thought they were concrete blocks.
They look similar to the 3.5 from a distance. Up close they are tighter and shinier and more accurate looking. The 3.5's have a yellow paint spray and the 7's have a red. That's how I've rollocked the lads when they have been contaminating the inside and outside blocks with each other.

Thanks guys.
Well it seems no one down here supply anything light. Even the 3.6’s are just as heavy as the 7’s! Guess we’ll just have to struggle.

Chheers

If you are struggling have Google for your local block manufacturer, they will do a lightweight aggregate block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back