Limescale advice.

• Thread starter EdwardCurrent
  • Start date
You are getting muddled now with heating system water treatment!

The permanent magnet type are easy to install and dont need any maintenance.

They do no harm and many people do find that they have "some beneficial effect".

There has been some evidence of a useful effect but unfortunately its all driven by the manufacturers and no one funds truly independent research. So nothing can be totally trusted.

I went to a one day seminar of the CIPHE on water treatment. That was a total waste of time with each of the "industry experts" coming and saying his own bit to support his employers products. There was no independent expert there at all!

In spite of that I have followed their use in the launderette industry where they have been found to be beneficial.

Many boiler manufacturers do ask for them to be installed in hard water areas. I dont fit them in london because they are not necessary with a boiler design which properly controls the hot water temperature.

Tony

Sponsored Links
:oops:
Many thanks Tony. I spoke to me Mum this morning and she is going to check her 'maintenance' contract (BG), to see if not having this work done will make things difficult at a later date.
Maybe I should just try and find some money to contribute and let BG get on with it as they are more qualified/knowledgeable than I am about all this.

Thanks All.

Ed.

The permanent magnet type are easy to install and dont need any maintenance.

They do no harm and many people do find that they have "some beneficial effect".

As do magnetic bracelets.

Manufacturers also claim that magnets on fuel pipes increase fuel efficiency. I can demonstrate this is a lie, as could you Tony. You have the equipment.

While they are prepared to peddle one lie, they are probably not limited to only one.

:oops:
Many thanks Tony. I spoke to me Mum this morning and she is going to check her 'maintenance' contract (BG), to see if not having this work done will make things difficult at a later date.
Maybe I should just try and find some money to contribute and let BG get on with it as they are more qualified/knowledgeable than I am about all this.

Thanks All.

Ed.

It will only be a problem if your mum has a proven limescale problem that causes a breakdown. Bg will then try and wriggle out of the free repair and charge it as they advised a prevention that wasnt done. Highly unlikely on 99% of boilers, its system debris that gets them normally.

I wont promote the hydroflow as i dont believe in the product. I dont like to advise the powerflushing either as i believe it to be overpriced but sometimes its a last resort to get things going.

Sponsored Links
I dont believe I said I was salesman?!!!!! Just saying it works for me... TBH couldn't give a flying f@ck in a high wind if it doesnt for anyone else! :LOL:

Somebody has to say that an independent will fit a magnetic unit rather cheaper than BG.

Its interesting as an asside that BG apparently promote to use of these devices when there is some controversity over their usefullness.

I am convinced from the launderette industry that they do have a useful effect in some circumstances and in some applications!.

Equally I am also of the opinion that they are not required in the London area on combi boilers. Reading and Bracknell might be a different matter though.

Tony

Agree with you there mate, don't know what water quality is like down there but it varies wildly up here. There may be instances where these work a treat and a few miles down the road not so well and another product would be more suitable, but thats a matter for people above my pay grade to decide on offering

Don't shoot the messenger etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back