Limewashing over existing limewashed wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cellar which I wish to spruce up a little. The walls had some loose limewash, which I have rubbed with a metal brush to remove. Some sections I can see bare brick, and most of the walls still have a decent layer of limewash.

Can any one advise me on how to move forward here? Is it just a case of mix up some limewash (and if so - to what 'recipe') and keep painting layers over the existing work?

I've put a few pictures up here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grimaldinho/6082585274/in/photostream

Sponsored Links
You can if you wish purchase lime paint which is available in several colours, if you want to go down the limewash route make sure it's slaked lime and no more than a couple of years old. Get yourself a builders bucket and add around 6" of water then slowly whilst stirring add your lime, you need to achieve a workable consistency then apply using a 4" brush, dont attempt to apply it two thickly or the wash will craze as it drys.

When you apply the wash it will offer a transparent look which will turn white when dry.

Dec

One thing I forgot to mention you say that you used a wire brush, this is never advisable when using water based systems as the particles of metal will rust on application. So go over it with a stiff bristle brush to remove them.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips folks.

@Will using cheap emulsion over limewash impair the ability of the wall to breath?

@Dec - Thanks for the info re: limewash.

This thread relates to a former one called a damp victorian cellar in which case an emulsion paint will probably begin to fail within a Month.

Dec

Oh right. I remember now, the one that needs tanking.

Yep thats the one and tanking would be the best option, yet the op didn't seem to keen on this route and his main concern seemed to be breathability and the application of a lime wash will certainly give him that.

Dec

That's right folks. Tanking would be too expensive an option at this moment in time. As I can improve ventilation easily enough, I'd just like to recoat the walls. As I understand, tanking will involve membrane + concrete which would knacker the headroom without digging out.

Then to be honest applying the lime wash really would be your best option, as I recall you only wanted to brighten up the walls and offer breathabilty. Not only will the wash achieve this it will also keep alive that old victorian cellar.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back