limited head, Air down Vent Pipe Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'd really welcome advice on our shower problem. I'm reasonably competent DIY'er but i'm starting to struggle with the plumbing in our house.

We have removed the airing cupboard from our upstairs bathroom to be replaced with a shower cubicle. Unfortunately, the loft has limited height so with this in mind i have used a "coffin tank" for the CWS and a horizontal HWC.

To better illustrate our system is as shown below:
layout2.jpg

If that didn't work it's also here....
http://stanleyes.ndo.co.uk/layout2.jpg

Due to the small 1.3m head i got a Salamander RSP50 twin pump.

The problem is air being pulled down the vent pipe, i'm guessing due to the small height difference between the CWS and HWC. Note this occurs not only for the shower pump but also if the bath hot tap is run at full bore, (i.e. it splutters badly)

I realise this system is far from ideal but i'm wondering if there are any tweaks i can do which may make it workable.

Testing the system shows that if we try and draw too much hot water we start getting air. If i restrict the flow using the lever valves the issue improves. In fact, as far as the bath tap goes this would be an adequate work around. However, for the shower this is not quite sufficient. With the shower valves fully open we get a flow of 10L per minute. If i restrict this to 5L per minute the shower is good enough and the air issue is resolved. That is, until someone uses a hot tap elsewhere in the house.

I can see i need to seperate the shower feed from the vent pipe. I do have a Salamander S Flange (like a Surrey) but it won't fit into the HWC because the dip tube hits the coil of the HWC. The coil is directly in the middle of the hot water outlet and is far to rigid to allow the flange to be forced in. This is the reason i currently have the shower tee'd off the vent.

Possible Improvements:

1. There is a supplementery outlet on the end of the HWC which i'm told is sometimes used for showers. I wasn't keen on using it because it is halfway down the cylinder so i'd imagine the shower would soon run tepid. However, i'm wondering if i could effectively make my own flange with a bent tube to draw the water from nearer the top of the HWC (say 1" from top). To do this i think i need some kind of fitting to allow a pipe to pass through the fitting but still seal it to the tank outlet. Does such a fitting exist, if so what's it called?

2. I could replace the cold water feed between the CWS and HWC with 28mm pipe. It's currently in 22mm and has 5 90 degree elbows. Do you think this would allow the cold water replacement to keep up with the hot water draw and prevent the problem? I'm sure it would help but i don't have a feel for whether it would make a significant difference.

3. I could add an Essex flange to the tank for the shower. Can these be used on horizontal tanks? I'm guessing it would want to be slightly further round the tank (i.e. at 1 o'clock rather than 12 o'clock) to reduce the chances of air getting drawn in.

And finally, i do intend adding another identical CWS coupled to the first to increase our cold water capacity. However, i want to get an air free system before i shell out on another CWS.

many thanks
Stan[/img][/url]

Sponsored Links
can you fit a surrey flange on the hot outlet :idea:

yes it screws into the hot outlet of cyl and you can feed shower from the de-aerated supply. You could fit an essex flange for the shower and a surrey flange for the other taps. . . . . .

Better still an unvented cyl and do away with the tank and shower pump altogether (mains pressure permitting)

Sponsored Links
I think a Surrey flange will give the same problem as the S flange i have. They both have the dip tube which will hit the coil in the HWC.

This is the S Flange i have...
http://www.tapstore.com/acatalog/Salamander-S-Flange.html

The collar below the two washers is just a male to female adaptor and would not have been used in my case (as i have a female boss on the HWC)

If i can get an air free supply to the shower i'm not too worried about the supply to the taps. I can fix this by restricting the flow to the taps.
I'm sure an essex flange would fix the issue but these OK in horizontal HWC's? Is my home made flange idea a non-starter? If it's possible it seems less risky.

thanks

First you don't have a 1.3 m head, or anywhere even close to it.

The only way you will improve the problem is to increase the cold feed to 35mm.

28mm would held, but not supply all the demand, so the problem although reduced will still be there.

A dedicated feed to the pump may help but not guaranteed.

28mm would held, but not supply all the demand, so the problem although reduced will still be there.

increasing the bore of the open vent to 35mm and increasing its lenght by coiling it with a few 180 deg bends (it must still continually rise) would help and I'm sure your "s flange" could be adapted to fit.

Essex flange is a must for the shower imo whatever you do.

increasing the bore of the open vent to 35mm and increasing its lenght by coiling it with a few 180 deg bends (it must still continually rise) would help and I'm sure your "s flange" could be adapted to fit.

Essex flange is a must for the shower imo whatever you do.

Why increase the bore of the open vent. :confused:

the hot water draw off is pulling down the open vent, by increasing the volume of water within the vent and the lenght of it you will make it harder for the air to be sucked in.

If you give it enough volume at the cold feed it won't suck air anyway.

If you give it enough volume at the cold feed it won't suck air anyway.

depends on the lenght of the cold feed in relation to the lenght of the open vent but yes I agree with what you say. No harm in upgrading both to be sure and the open vent would be the easier of the two to repipe. . .

This type of installation would've been perfect for an unvented cyl (water mains permitting) the current set-up is a bodge whatever way you look at it imo.

To the OP whoever specified this total bodge set up wants shooting, I'd be asking for my money back!

op said:
We have removed the airing cupboard from our upstairs bathroom to be replaced with a shower cubicle. Unfortunately, the loft has limited height so with this in mind i have used a "coffin tank" for the CWS and a horizontal HWC.
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back