Limited space under bath for waste; all bath wastes the same dimensions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a new bath installed, but some of the waste pipe work had been fitted with about a 20 cm section of pipe going uphill ( about an inch or so) after the trap before it does 90 degree turn into a a downhill run eventually to the soil pipe.

Not really very satisfactory. Do you think I can get away with this? It's going to be a pain to have all the pipework adjusted; not even sure it can be done without serious cost.

If no, I was wondering if I were to change the waste combi overflow, there might be one where it is not so long ?. At the moment I can see quite a lot of spare 'screw' space on the brass body below the banjo which seems unnecessary. Its a Macdee bath waste/combined overflow with plug and looking online it looks like the measurement is about 76mm. Are there any shorter then this ?

ALso I noticed that the overflow does not drain very fast at all? Wasn't sure if the level problem would make it worse or are all overflows really a load of rubish unless you pull the plug out aswell ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you've got an uphill section it'll block up. Get it changed. If you've paid someone to do the job, get them back to do it properly at their cost. You've paid for a correct installation and can reasonably expect to get a satisfactory waste run. It's quite normal to have to cut a section of floor out to fit a trap under a bath

He's had a couple of goes, but its time to get a pro in. No money paid yet !

Just wondering if another, shorter, bath waste body may make a big difference

Last edited:
Actually its not so much needing a hole in the floor for the trap , but making sure it all flows downhill to the soil stack. Tiling all done etc.

SO either the bath must be raised ( not an option ) or the trap start higher under the bath, by using a different waste overflow combi, or by digging down the original waste pipe as it goes into the soil stack that is at or just below floor level.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can get shallow traps but the water seal depth is insufficient to use if the waste connects to a stack; you can use a deeper seal trap elsewhere though

Hi Owain
It's not the trap I am worried about; it's the fall required to get waste water to the soil pipe. Thanks anyway

You can get p-traps that have a shorter first piece (as the water sees it) to raise the outlet, not sure is you've tried one or whether it would suit your situation though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back