Lincrusta Re-paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

When we had the house renovated a few years ago, we had Lincrusta put on the hall, stairs and landing walls up to dado level.

The Lincrusta was painted with a gloss paint and looked a million dollars. It is now starting to look a little tired and needs a re-paint.

Question - how should I prep the Lincrusta? A fine grit across the top will give a good key where it touches, but what about the surfaces 'below' the top level, in all the grooves and hollows?

I think a good sugar soaping would help, but would it be enough? Some kind of cup brush, but it would have to be really gentle, I don't want to lose the edges?

Over to the experts...

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

Sponsored Links
There shouldnt be any need to sand the surface of the Lincrusta. A good sugar soaping and cleaning of the surface is all that is usually required.

Thanks Robbie,

Looks like it will be an easier job than I thought then - which is always good news.

Just as an aside - what paint would you guys recommend? I don't want anything to 'gloopy' (technical term) as I want to keep as much definition to the Lincrusta as possible.

A good quality gloss - maybe thinned down by a few percent?

Or just un-thinned but well brushed?

Thanks again,

Nigel

Lincrusta was usually painted with oil paints, or a scumble glaze to look like wood. Eggshell is a lovely finish but not as servicable to finger marks. Depends on what you want it to look like really.

Sponsored Links
There is an oil-based gloss on there at the moment, and it has served really well. Three kids and several dogs growing up around it hasn't really touched it apart from a few scuffs.

I think I will re-paint with oil-based, but just be careful not to get it too thick in the recessed patterns.

I was thinking of two thinned coats? but maybe this will have the same effect as one un-thinned coat applied properly??

The colour will be very similar, if not the same, so it shouldn't need more than one coat (should it?).

I just don't want to stuff it up, it cost a fortune, was a b*tch to put up and looks really nice!

Touch up the scuffed areas with a bit of undercoat and give it all a coat of satinwood, not as shiny as gloss but a nice finish.

Thanks Robbie,

I think you are right about the satin rather than gloss, it doesn't need a high shine.

Sorted.

Nigel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back