Line fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 lines coming off of the main BT connection coming into the house, one going to the bedroom line and the other to my living room area. they appear to be linked by a green and white wire. My question is, if the line to the bedroom was damaged would this cause a fault on the living room line. I still have my internet connection but have lost my phone line.

Sponsored Links
When you say two lines do you actually mean two extensions on one line?

Have you tried disconnecting the extensions at the BT master socket and plugging into the test socket? If that's OK then it's either faulty equipment or faulty extension wiring causing the problem. Check that none of your phones have accidentally been left off-hook.

Hi and thanks for getting back to me,
Both lines are hard wired directly from the cable/line coming into the building.
They are wired together in an electrical box in the wall covered by a blanking plate. The mainly white and blue wires, and the mainly blue and white wire are connected to the white and orange wires respectively, coming from the BT line into the house. the green and white wire connects only the bedroom line to the living room line.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like two extensions on one line. Only one phone number and both phones ring, yes?

Unplug the phones and your ADSL router. Plug a phone into one socket and see if that works. If it does plug the other phones and the router back in one by one until it stops working.

If that doesn't solve it disconnect the bedroom extension from the living room socket and try a phone (only one phone, nothing else) in that. If that works then you have a faulty cable connecting to the bedroom.

Does your living room socket look like this?

image012.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back