Linear driveway drainage piping to Rainwater system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will shortly, lay approx. 6 mtrs of 'Aquaflow' driveway linear drainage channel.

Problem is, the usage of 110mm pipework throughout seems alittle over the top for the amount channel used. Using a P-trap and a short length to the Rainwater water chamber close-by.

Ideally, I thought 50 or 68mm drain pipe is more than large enough for the amount of water collected based on last Winters deluge.

So i thought of using a 110 to 68mm reducer on the underside of the channel, short 68mm pipe to three 68mm 90deg bends to form a P-Trap, then a short 68mm pipe of approx 400mm to the Rainwater chamber.

The reason on the thought as above, next door who had a channels system laid across his garage entrance, where he had paving blocks laid on his sloping drive towards his garage. The company who laid his channel system used a 40mm pipe into a downpipe P-trap and grate covered drain, by drilling a hole in its side..

Are there any reasons why I should not do this, this way or any easier way

thanks

Sponsored Links
you have zero chance of trying to unblock a 50mm pipe should it ever happen. It will not take much sediment to completely obscure the pipe bore.

If you were to go with 50mm pipe don't do any kind of trap in it but go straight to the gulley with as few bends as possible. A trap is not neccessary as their will be no risk of foul drain smells escaping which is why they are used when connecting directly to the pipework in a combined sewer system.

If your existing gulley is not a bottle trap type consider replacing it for one which make connection to the side of it simple as they have knockouts for this purpose and are easy to clear and rod should the need arise.

Thanks

There is no gully that I shall be connecting to, just the chamber with its rectangular manhole cover.

The gully I referred to, is a square grated cover for rain water down pipe to spill into and any surface water at the neighbours garage which has a water trap to stop foul odours as all the down pipes around his and my house have.

I shall remove the manhole cover and check for any odours.

If trap is needed, I see some recommend a 'Bottle Gully'. I cannot see from various installation images how these maintain a water level to prevent odour from drain/soil system, as do the p-trap.

Thanks

You should also consider that it is illegal to drain surface water off your property into any mains sewer without Building Control Approval.

Sponsored Links
So even if the manhole covered chambers are on my property (to which I have 3) which I maintain with new pressed steel covers and frame when they are corroded, are still covered by planning. From the last winters deluge, the ground could not soak the amount of water, so it laid over the paving access to my front door. Meaning if it froze, it then becomes a accident risk to any visitor ie; postman or my disabled daughter.

The main cast iron manholes are out on the pavement or road which are shared with others in the area.

So avoid any problems, could I send the collected water to fall into the nearest Gully as done with the neighbours linear drain as described above.

thanks

Is this wrong too, needing permission:-

So avoid any problems, could I send the collected water to fall into the nearest Gully as done with the neighbours linear drain as described above by his paver company.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back