lining inside my roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's house (no felt under the original concrete tiles). I want to put stuff in the loft, but it gets covered in ***p. So, I've screwed 5mm ply to the inside face of the 4 x2 rafters, I have now run out, so have used triple wall cardboard, I'm sure all this lot must be moisture permeable, but I'm only a humble DIYer. I will leave a gap of 6" alround at the bottom for ventilation.............is this OK or am I heading for problems?

Sponsored Links
I've got exactly the same problem, but am wary of covering the underside of the tiled roof with anything other than a fully permeable membrane. I intend to staple Weed Control Fabric to the underside soon. It's fully permeable, but not waterproof, that way I'll be able to see if my roof ever develops a leak.

My aim is to stop dust and dirt being blow into a cold roof space and nothinig more. Or am I missing something?

i thought your rafters would like some air and ventilation if they do get damp...
i put dust covers over my stuff in my cornish slate hung on wooden pegs roof..
imho this wont cause as much doubt as encasing the rafters in a damp/condensing environment

sounds good to me but you can buy a roll of breathable roofing felt 50 mtr for about £45 sometimes in a light colour staple to under side of roof leave a gap top and bottom

I've got exactly the same problem, but am wary of covering the underside of the tiled roof with anything other than a fully permeable membrane. I intend to staple Weed Control Fabric to the underside soon. It's fully permeable, but not waterproof, that way I'll be able to see if my roof ever develops a leak.

My aim is to stop dust and dirt being blow into a cold roof space and nothinig more. Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
I doubt they're still waiting on advice.

Probably holed up in a seaside cafe, reminiscing about the day the rafters rotted and fell in. Damn, if only they'd fitted a breather membrane and not filled they're lofts with a lifetime's worth of crap.

Holy thread revival. ;)

Don`t knock a lifetime`s collecting of c-rap . :idea: My M8 cleared 6 skips full out of his old folk`s house - I picked over some of it and got him over £1k @ auction :LOL:

my computer wisardry has failed me again
I doubt they're still waiting on advice.

Probably holed up in a seaside cafe, reminiscing about the day the rafters rotted and fell in. Damn, if only they'd fitted a breather membrane and not filled they're lofts with a lifetime's worth of crap.

Holy thread revival. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back