Lining interior of workshop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am just about to start lining the inside of my wooden built workshop. It is constructed using 4" x 2" studwork. I was planning on using 18mm plywood (exterior hardwood as it looks nicer). My main reason for this is that it should be possible to hang quite a lot of weight from it ie. shelving without having to find any studs.

I was just wondering if any other materials would do the job. I was thnking of 18mm MDF as this is cheaper. Would MDF be strong enough?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
12mm ply will be fine
buy it from your wood yard for a decent price and decent quality

assuming your timbers are around 2ft apart then all but the heaviest structures will easily be held by the ply providing its screwed every 6 inches into the studs
if you are planning really heavy then the studs will be obvious by the line off screws lol ;)
another thing you have to consider any great weight will try and deflect the wall the further it hangs from the wall the greater the leverage
now in a well built structure it wont be much but near a corner with a door or window at right angles it can be enough to jam the windows or stop the bolts/catches lining up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back