Workshop loft boarding and weight bearing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to board the loft in my workshop. It is an old telephone exchange ,solidly built and the joist etc are in great condition. I was planning on using 18mm tongue and groove chipboard screwed at intervals. On an area about 32 x 12 is this going to be, in itself, a lot of weight or does it add to the structural strength?

Also, I am planning on storing quite a lot of boxes up there that are about 14 kg each would it seem safer to store them around the edge where presumably it is stronger because of closeness to the wall.
Any advice welcome

Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
Your main concern should be the size of the joists. It's like boarding a loft out over 4 x 2 joists. OK if it's just for light storage, but for storing the equivelent of loads of bags of cement? Depending on where you live, you'll need either 6 x 2 or 7 x 2 up there. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back