loft assistance (probably from engineer)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft is floored with 18mm chipboard flooring, there are no counter battens taking the weight to spread the load, they are straight on top of the trusses. i have modern w shaped trusses.

My problem is i would like to line the loft space with plasterboard to tidy it up, and also store a few items up there!

I am not altering any structural members, but would the increased weight pose any threat to the structure. Bearing in mind the water storage tank has recently been taken out.

any correspondence is welcome!

cheers

kev

Sponsored Links
If it's just to "store a few items" then no.

Please post the video of you trying to get sheets of plasterboard up the hatch and around all the trusses and struts on youtube .... it will be fun to watch :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to plasterboard your loft space if just using it for storage?

But anyway, the weight of the plasterboard *probably* wouldn't overstress the existing rafters...

The water tank would have sat on a strengthened area of loft floor, so has no bearing on adding plasterboard to the rafters...unless you are also thinking of maybe putting down some flooring, and moving up some office furniture and PC, or perhaps your model train set...

Best bet here is to line the rafters with the 'foil backed bubblewrap' insulation roll. Will keep out dust from outside, raise the temp by a degree or so, and help illuminate the loft space, will only need a single 'colditz' lightbulb swinging in the middle.

Shop around for the big rolls of about 25sqm for best value.

I lined my loft rafters with big sheets of clear polythene that the loft insulation came delivered in.

On another note, I have never seen this symbol used in any post on DIYnot :arrow:

I still think that trying to plasterboard a trussed rafter roof like this one would be interesting at best :arrow:

pre-con1-medium.jpg

I still think that trying to plasterboard a trussed rafter roof like this one would be interesting at best
Haha...yeah, missed that...B&Q do those 1000mm x 600mm sheets...maybe a hundred or so of them :p

PS, nice use of the arrow :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back