Extend Loft Hatch & Loft Boarding Load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

just want to clarify before going ahead and because i never seem to have this kind of luck but i'm looking to extend my loft hatch and luckily the existing hatch sits between the two joists and only need to remove the existing frame/noggin and cutout plasterboard, just wanted to see what the plank above the hatch frame/noggin was for and why it would be put down?

i'm assuming it's just for servicing reasons to give walk ways to where the aerial and water tanks where installed? it finishes/been cut before the water tank (next joist to the right of the hatch) but spans the whole length of the loft? (excluding under the water tank) - main reason why i'm checking as one the other side too :)

i just thought i'd double check before i go on my merry way cutting...

*also there are random pieces going diagonal along the roof trusses (only on the one side) these aren't of any structural reason being there are they? if not, why would someone do that? any practical reasons?

i plan to use loftzone with 18mm loftboards (5kg) in the middle - the joists are 3 by 2 and 565mm apart (600mm from center of joist to center of next) - do i need to worry about weight or will loftzone and my style roof be ok? want to use loft for medium-ish weight for storage + me and someone else walking around up there.

Thanks in advance

DSC_0547.jpg DSC_0548.jpg DSC_0549.jpg DSC_0552.jpg DSC_0555.jpg DSC_0556.jpg DSC_0564.jpg DSC_0567.jpg

Sponsored Links
The random diagonal pieces are bracings stopping the roof trusses falling sideways.

You can do what you like with that hatch and the trusses will take any normal household storage items.

The "plank" could well be a ceiling binder and if so should probably be relocated, not removed.

how would i relocate it? also it finishes to the right of the hatch (middle of the span) would shortening it to left of the hatch be a problem?

Sponsored Links
thanks for your posts, is there anyway to confirm this? its been cut out already when the water tank was installed - water tank was installed when house was built so think ur right woody.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back