Enlarging loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am fitting a new loft ladder and want to make hatch longer. I have no problem with this as i have done it before. The problem is there is a length of 3 x 2 nailed to the top of joists at 90 degrees so it is spanning all the joists from one side to the other. Is this just a tie to keep all joists stable? Can i cut a section out and put another length of 3 x 2 on the other side of new hatch?
Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
It is a ceiling binder.

Cutting the existing binder will render it useless.

Can you not fix a complete binder elsewhere relatively close to mid-span? Alternatively, it may mean fitting a pair of binders each side of the hatch.

Hi Noseall,

Thanks for reply. Not sure i would get a complete binder up into loft space! Not sure what you mean by a pair of binders either side of hatch? Do you mean full length or 2 short ones?

Thanks,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to lift the existing ceiling binder and move it to clear loft access then screw it back in position about 400mm away from original position?

Gary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back