Lining over painted lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to put lining paper over existing lining which has a really bad texture where someone has painted it badly! Is this ok to do and should I be sizing the existing paper first?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
I am not keen on removing old paper as have a feeling the wall will be in a poor state behind and its the stairs which is a pain to get to. Do people ever do it or are you saying it will look that bad that its not worth it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Experience says that if the surface is bad then no amount of lining over the top will make it look any better. Good preparation is the key to getting a good finish, but we can only give advice based on that experience. You're the one looking at the wall so only you can judge.

Its not a bad finish really its just someone has used some really thick paint and a brush and you can see the brush pattern?

Thanks again.

Thanks but could someone tell me why it would look crap? Any other part of the house I would be happy to take off the old paper but my stairs are a pain to get to properly.

What will it look like if I dont remove the old paper?

Thanks.

Only you can tell how bad the existing finish is, but look at it like this - it's a hallway. You could spend hours papering and painting over the existing and it will look crap, so you will want to/ have to do the job again. Whereas, if you spend the time preparing and doing it properly, you will only have to do it once.

End of the day, the choice is your's. People here can only make observation based on experience.

The finish in terms of any holes or loose bits of paper is fine, its just that the paint pattern is very heavy and wouldnt look great if you painted over it. I just wanted to use the lining paper to get rid of the paint finish.

It will look crap because the two lots of paper will be going in the same direction - ie vertically. This means the usual cancelling-out of tension you get (between crosslined layer and top layer) won't happen, so the seams may separate.

Also, by putting new paste on, you will almost certainly loosen the original paper and bring it away from the wall, and it will never stick itself back down satisfactorily. You cannot successfully hang new paper onto old paper which is not 100% stable, which yours would not be.

If it is simply the case that someone has painted too thickly over some areas, then try sanding then affected areas with fine sandpaper, being careful not to tear the liner.

Do it properly - or employ someone else to, but don't waste your time and money making a bodge of it.

The finish in terms of any holes or loose bits of paper is fine, its just that the paint pattern is very heavy and wouldnt look great if you painted over it. I just wanted to use the lining paper to get rid of the paint finish.

Four thick coats with a roller should kill it.

Or 1/2 sheet sander with Hoover and change a 120 sheet every sq m- dust will still be annoying, even with Hoover attachment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back