Lining paper on new plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some damp treatment completed and now have lower half of wall with new plaster and upper half old plaster (that will need lining paper). I understand the need for a thinned non vinyl paint for the new plaster but if I put lining paper on the whole wall, will this prevent the lower half from drying correctly?

Sponsored Links
As long as new plaster is fully dry no worrries. Presume your going to line all of the walls, not just the old plaster? Might be an idea to put a coat of primer sealer (over new and old) (zinsser 123) to even up the whole walls. This will be a nice surface to line over.

Good luck

Thanks for reply, the problem as always with new plaster is when is it dry?
I had 2 coats (browning? and finishing) so it is probably 2 cm thick. The finishing coat is already beginning to look dry after 24 hours but the plasterer from the damp proof company said I should wait 12 months! before it was dried out...... other than a thinned coat of non vinyl matt emulsion.
This seems excessive to me. Of course if I put lining paper ad get a couple of cracks, I can always put over another lot of paper after.
any thoughts?

It's impossible to judge how long it might take to dry, usually when its all thje same colour its ok. But you have deep repairs so I agree with the plasterer. Your plaster is deep and a lot of water has to escape somewhere. If you paper over (even lining) you will quickly get black mould forming (even with anti fungicide) and paper falling off. So I would go along with plaster'ers advice and would mist coat all bare plaster with supermatt (permeable emulsion) and a thicker coat overall. On the other hand if you get a dehumidifier, heating on and windows open it might be ok in a couple of months but..dont know the extent of repairs.. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
12 months would apply to a new house build where everything has been subject to a good soaking as part of the building process but for repairs, a full re-plaster (not just skim) in an existing property would probably be OK after 4-6 weeks. He may be playing safe but without knowing the extent of your damp problem he may well be right so I would go with that. Don’t be fooled by how “dry” it looks, it can still hold a lot of residual moisture. Why line it anyway, just use permeable emulsion as sugested, certainly for the time being.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back