Lining paper or skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just took the wallpaper off and was going to skim but plaster looks ok in most places.

We plan on painting the walls, should I skim (not done before) or use liner paper?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Patch with Easi-fill and paint is better than lining paper.

One of the biggest regrets in my DIY life is using lining paper. Skim it - it isn't that hard and you'll have a skill for life.

despite being a fan of lining paper in certain situations, I would probably agree with Joe90 in your case. if the walls are not too bad just use filler where necessary, then paint

Sponsored Links
It really depends on the walls, badly damaged, skim, lightly damaged fill and line. Lined properly you will get a really professional finish.

If you have never skimmed a wall before, you will make a mess, it takes a lot of practice.

It has a few cracks and holes that I will need to fill, so might just do this and then lining paper over. Its not really that badly damaged.

You ain't listening - lining paper is painted wallpaper and looks sh*t.

If its not bad the just fill the cracks and holes, never seen a good job done with lining paper, done it myself for people over the years and I have never been happy with it. And as for skimming yourself don't do it for a start you need a trowel to be broken in to get a good finish, a little tip would be to give the walls a white coat first that will show you how bad it really is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back