Lining paper question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone this is my first post so be nice please!

My question is quite basic really.

I'm doing up a house (on a tight budget) I've had quite a few of the ceilings plasterboarded and now they're all finished I'm trying to decide what to do next.
The main option would be to have them plastered but this could get quite expensive.
My question is this, could I paper them with a thick lining paper and just paint over it?
Surely if this is possible it'd be a lot cheaper than having them all plastered?

Thanks for any advice in advance folks.

:)

Sponsored Links
The thing is with lining plaster board is the paper will stick to the flat part no probs but unless the joints are properly filled then they would show through. If you do a good job of taping and filling the joints then when sanded they can be just painted onto the board.

The thing is with lining plaster board is the paper will stick to the flat part no probs but unless the joints are properly filled then they would show through. If you do a good job of taping and filling the joints then when sanded they can be just painted onto the board.
Ok, so as long as I'm thorough with the filling and sanding it should be ok?

Will I be ok to do this in the kitchen and the bathroom, or will the steam mess it up?

Any options cheaper than plastering that you could advise me on would be great.

Oh, and Zampa, thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Joints need to be taped aither with paper tape or the sticky plastic guaze type. filled over with filler that will rub down smooth and then can be painted with finish of you choice. Should be ok with that. use a broad filling scraper or a floating trowel.

Joints need to be taped aither with paper tape or the sticky plastic guaze type. filled over with filler that will rub down smooth and then can be painted with finish of you choice. Should be ok with that. use a broad filling scraper or a floating trowel.
Great stuff cheers for your advice Robbie.
I'll let you know how I go on. :)

Paper tape gives you a better finish on the butt joints, it can be hard to put up though as the method is; skim down the joint, put up your tape, run a scraper down it and then skim over the top. There'll probably be howls of protest, but I stick the tape directly to the boards with PVA - just finished a ceiling 26M x 18M (yes, I know, big bu**er!) and only took a little bit longer.

I would recommend Gyproc Easifill, easy to work with, very fine, virtually no shrinkage and sands down a treat, a bit more expensive than your usual joint filler but well worth it.

When you've finished taping/filling/sanding, give the whole ceiling a mist coat (40%water/non-vinyl emulsion) This seals the plasterboard and filler so when you get onto the full strength emulsion it won't fall off!

Have fun and give us a shout if you hit any snags

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back