Lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping you can help.

I have some plain plasterboard of which the edges are indistinguishable as they have been taped and patched.

Would it be possible to line these walls with lining paper, I have some 1400 grade and 1000 grade already I used for another job - would either of these suffice?

Also: someone mentioned to me that I should finish the woodwork first (is new so caulk, primer, undercoat, gloss). I thought I should paper first, then caulk, primer, undercoat, gloss - that'd give me a better finish and 'cutting in' (is that what it is called?) will be easier and look better.

Hope I made that clear - thanks!

Sponsored Links
No reason why you cant line the walls....mix of the paste to a ratio of about one large packet to 6 litres of water...and make sure you leave it to soak for about ten minutes before you hang it..remember the heavier the paper the thicker the paste should be...in general

As for the wood work it should be finished first if you intend to put a finish paper on the wall.....and second if you intend to paint the wall

In order it should be.....knot prime fill (and caulk) undercoat and then top coat...you shouldny need to sand the wood down before you prime it....the grain in the wood will raise when you prim it anyway.....and thats the best time to sand it.

Linning would be fine, fill any imperfections & sort out any bad joints before though as linning will only make them stand out more. On plasterboard dont forget to size! a decent matt emulsion (thinned) might be better, to aid stripping in years to come. Line walls first, undercoat trims, paint walls, then gloss trims. ps Obviously if your papering walls gloss before you paper.
good luck.

OOOps hello zampa you beat me to it :LOL: :LOL:

confidentincompetent said:
Linning would be fine, fill any imperfections & sort out any bad joints before though as linning will only make them stand out more. On plasterboard dont forget to size! a decent matt emulsion (thinned) might be better, to aid stripping in years to come. Line walls first, undercoat trims, paint walls, then gloss trims. ps Obviously if your papering walls gloss before you paper.
good luck.

OOOps hello zampa you beat me to it :LOL: :LOL:

Hope you paint faster than you type mate lol ;)

Sponsored Links
Thank you both - very helpful. Just a couple more questions then:

When you say size - do you mean what I would probably wrongly call seal? I was going to use PVA:water 1:5, but you say a good quality matt emulsion thinned down. With what? To what ratio? A light colour, right?

And... why do I gloss the very last? Is it because the gloss will stick to the possible thin overlap of paint on the lining paper better than the other way round? Or is it easier to get a straight line with gloss?

Thanks again!

Dont bother with the PVA....Stick to thinned out (with water) wallpaper paste.....thinned out emulsion (with water) or.....you could go for a combination of the two.....mix emulsion with wallpaper paste and thin it down....it helps you see where you have been and will seal the wall a little better..ratio wise....hard to say...it depends on the quality of the paint....id say about 60/40 paint/water and about 50/50 paste to water.

As for the painting.....yes its easier to cut in the woodwork after the walls have been painted.....more so the skirting boards.

Pva will be fine but you will curse when you come to strip laters. If I have some white (colour irrelevent in this case) emulsion handy I would normally mist coat the plasterboard something like a litre of water to 2 1/2 ltr. which is more than dulux like ;). I like to finish walls before gloss as then it dont matter too much if spots off roller hit undercoat, simply sponge over. Then cut in gloss. This way I dont have to wait for gloss to dry before painting walls. Think they call it logistics, ie. gloss, tidy up and be in pub while gloss is dryin. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back