Primer before lining paper?

14 Jan 2020
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi I’m new to this so please excuse any daft questions but we’ve just bought a house and have just stripped the wallpaper off.

In places the drywall is now left with ‘fluffy’ tattered areas and there is one patch which is also a little damp.

There is several small holes that need patching up as well where screws and nails have been removed.

We don’t plan on wallpapering but would ideally like a smooth finish to then paint on. I was hoping lining paper would do this, but am I correct in thinking that firstly I’d need to fill and sand the holes, then prime the walls with a primer, followed by lining paper?

If that’s the case could anyone recommend a primer suitable for a small damp patch and a general primer that’d be suitable?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Fill and repair as you say but a good coat of wallpaper paste (size) should be all you need to prime the surface for papering.
Dilute wallpaper paste (generally referred to as sizing) should suffice as a primer. It's purpose is to reduce the porosity (read: suction) of the substrate.

Don't pay a premium for premixed pastes when using lining paper, a box of Solvite powder will be much cheaper. To date I have never seen them sold in proper decorators without a third bag in the box for free (ie 50% free).

The damp patch- you need to address why the wall is damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links