lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Best way to hang? horizontal or Vertical?

Also- how/where should I hang the first length.

Any other tips with lining paper?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Where you start and how you hang it will depend on the shape of the room and the walls..

If you go by the book then you'l start from the greatest source of natural light...but we dont bother with books on here do we!!... :)

In general crosslining is a little bit easier and you may not have so much waste at the end...but again it depends on the shape of what your lining..if theres a section of wall measuring 5 metres long and 2.5 metres high then it makes sense to cross line it..you'l only have about 8 cuts to make on the ends..as opposed to 20 odd cuts top and bottom of you vertical line it

Same drill but the other way round if you had a section of wall measuring 3 metres high but only 1/2 a metre wide...there no point in cross lining it it..youl have to make 8 cuts to four bits of lining paper as opposed to two cuts top and bottom.

So there no harm in mixing the two.

If your going to vertical line then id suggest you work away from the light...this helps you not have overlaps in the joints and aviods having to work in your own light.

Joints...leave a hairline gap if your papering over it...butt em tight if your painting...but make sure you dont overlap em.

If your papering over vertical lining...you need to gauge the wall out so you dont have a situation where the joints from the top paper sit directly over the joints of the lining..overwise they may spring up when they dry.

This is quite a rare occurence though because lining paper is wider than standard wallpaper for that reason.

Ive got a word document I can can e mail you if you want...dont worry theres no charges and I dont have any viruses!

Also, just to add to "Zampa" on going rants, hehe. When planning to just emulsion over lining paper then hang the lining paper from cieling to floor (vertical). But if wallpapering over lining paper then hang lining paper from left to right (horizontal). But then again its down to personal preference.

Allso!! do let each drop, soak after pasting, dont press too hard just gently but firmly smooth out with a brush to avoid stetching paper. The paste will grab the paper into wall when drying.
John

Sponsored Links
When leaving a small gap between the lining paper is a good idea to fill with fine filler?

Stagcombo said:
When leaving a small gap between the lining paper is a good idea to fill with fine filler?
When you intend painting the lining paper then I couldn't agree more - it only takes a few minutes extra and it's worth the extra work.

Stagcombo said:

Uneccessary if your painting over it Stag...if you can get the joints right first time then it should be ok..I know blokes who gaps a gap purpously because they think its the custom to fill it.

I agree that its a back up if any joints shrink but be careful not to overfil otherwise you'l see it on the lining paper after its rubbed down.

Having wasted me time typing all that...it might be a good idea if your a novice paperhanger and struggle with the joints :oops:

Tip for the day...give em a coat of knotting first...just in case the filler causes the paper to bubble.

Zampa said:
Tip for the day...give em a coat of knotting first...just in case the filler causes the paper to bubble.
Oooo that's interesting. I'm not disagreeing with you Steve and thanks for the tip. But I can't understand why a tiny amount of filler would cause the paper to bubble.
Come to think of it, why would any amount of filler cause the paper to bubble? :confused:

gcol said:
Zampa said:
Oooo that's interesting. I'm not disagreeing with you Steve and thanks for the tip. But I can't understand why a tiny amount of filler would cause the paper to bubble.
Come to think of it, why would any amount of filler cause the paper to bubble? :confused:

Your up early..wife not talking to you either??..nor mine after the traditional easter barney!!..

The filler can cause the paper to bubble because of the water content the seam is a vaunerable place (well it is if i could spell it right!) water from the filler can penetrate a seam quite easily..remember if theres anywhere likely not to have enough paste on it its the seam.

No harm in using a bit of filler here and there if the joints are showing...but ive always avoided ir if poss...the lads and lassies with me all say 'oh yes you have to leave a gap dont you'...because they have picked that up from other blokes they work with..but it creates a bit more work..and I luuuurve the eassieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee life!

I dont know about now..but on the back of crowns anaglypta lining paper it used to say somthing like 'leave a hairline gap if papering over and butt if painting'...dunno if it still does though.

Right..im going to nick a few more bits off the kids easter eggs before they get up.. :evil: ,,.bye!

lol steve on B&Q they say when papering over leave 1/8th gap :eek:
A young couple followed this advice and hung a flat solid vinyl over it. Of course the joints all showed through ARRrrrrgh.
Meself I go like you steve and endevour to get butt joins, and fill where I failed, though cant afford to waste time filling being self employed. :cry:

confidentincompetent said:
lol steve on B&Q they say when papering over leave 1/8th gap :eek:
A young couple followed this advice and hung a flat solid vinyl over it. Of course the joints all showed through ARRrrrrgh.
Meself I go like you steve and endevour to get butt joins, and fill where I failed, though cant afford to waste time filling being self employed. :cry:

1/8th!!! :eek: ...are they giving away a bag of easi fil and a free caulking tool with every 10 rolls of lining paper??..

We dont 'fail'..its the paper thats trimmed badly in the factory remember.. :evil:

Tanks for all the v. useful advice, Just to continue the debate. I do plan to paper over the lining, but don't fully understand why you would want to leave a gap when you have the option of butting together when haning? is there an particular advantage to this?
cheers

If you but it too close there could be a very slight overlep..you may not even see it..but it will be there..when you paper over the wet paste may cause it to swell even more leaving you with a ridge under the paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back