Linking New to Old - Cut Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been searching for a detail on how to tie my new roof onto my existing.

I have put an extension onto my house, the cut roof has been erected except where the new meets the old and I have to attach the rafters to the valley boards.

I have seen images and it appears that the valley board is fixed to the top of the existing rafters and the new rafters are fixed to the valley board.

My question is once I cut the rafters out from underneath to open up the extension surely all the support would disappear?

Any direction would be useful as once this is complete I can finish the felt and batten and be nice and dry again - and seeing as we have the weather this week!!!

Thank you for any assistance.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Seems like some sort of hipped roof?

If you are just adding a new roof to existing, then yes you fix a lay board (not valley board) to the existing rafters and cut to this

If you are opening up the roofspace for a loft room, then you need to insert a new hip rafter to supprt the new (and existing rafters) when you form the cut out

My question is once I cut the rafters out from underneath to open up the extension surely all the support would disappear?

Can you clarify?

Why do you need to cut the existing rafters unless you are re-modelling the loft space perhaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back