linking rads to back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction
After several yrs in a freezing stone house id like a future with some warmth due to ill health but do have a restricted budget. There is no gas where i am so thats not an option.

I currently have an open fire in my living room. An open fire with a back boiler in my kitchen although its not very efficient at heating the water. The backboiler links to a big copper boiler/tank upstairs which can also heat the water electrically. When i moved in 10yrs ago i assumed it was for the scrapheap but its been fantastic and all ive had to do was replace the thermostat and stop cock 5yrs ago so ideally i dont want to replace it. I have no heating currently upstairs or in an adjoining conservatory (with slate roof)

So...

If i want to fit 4 small single radiators and possibly a heated towel rail what are my best options? First thought was change open fire in living room to something that can heat water since its the most used fire but as the house is 2' stone walls fitting an air brick for anything over 5kw would be a major job. Other option is something similar in the conservatory as the lower walls are brick the airbrick would be a damn site easier.

Would i have to replace the tank? Can i link the existing systems? I would be doing as much work as possible myself and have a heating engineer do any bits im legally obliged to but its hard to get an estimate or advice when someones not going to get tje full job ive found. All help appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
you can buy electric boiler to heat water for a radiator system or get electric radiators that only need pluging in

You could fit a boiler stove. Though decent ones are expensive.
Wouldn't worry about an air brick in probably a leaky house.

Sponsored Links
as the house is 2' stone walls fitting an air brick for anything over 5kw would be a major job.

Possibly surprisingly easy if you get a drilling firm in. Diamond core drill if it's solid stone, or sleeve drill if it's rubble fill (the sleeve drill leaves a steel sleeve through the wall stopping the rubble falling into the hole).

Or you can hire a core drill but the drilling firm will usually also have the ginormous stone-dust vacuum cleaner that goes with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back