Lino... more haste, less speed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd give you a little light relief at my expense.

The story so far....
The wife hates the kitchen in the house we have just moved to, but I can see it being a very expensive project - hence it isn't at the top of my list. In particular she hates the lino but despite being told that it will be a waste of money, since I intend to eventually tile the floor, I get a phone call at work to tell me that she has bought some really cheap. Turns out it was really cheap because she had measured all wrong and only got a piece a quarter the necessary size.

She then remeasures and we end up with a kitchen 40 feet by 20 feet...She then remeasures again (this time using cms not inches) and we end up with the right size.

The lino place grumbles a bit but does change the order, we check to see what preparations we need to make - "None" says the guy. A little surprised we recheck multiple times but no the guys will move everything when they fit it.

Along comes the guys to fit the lino - and its only one - "No I can't fit it - the washing machine, dishwasher and fridge need to be moved. I'll be back tomorrow."

Everything gets moved. The next day the guy turns up (an hour late), folds back the old lino and declares that we need the entire floor screeded because the old glue is all uneven, patchy and not a good surface to put the new lino on. Of course all this extra work will cost an extra £60 and considering the old lino is at least flat and this was only going to be a temporary "cheap" fix I tell him to lay it on that.

Anyway, all goes fairly well from then, aside from me getting later and later for work. He lays it all, very nice and goes off while I carefully move the dishwasher, washing machine and fridge back.

Which would have all been a good result had I not pushed the fridge back a little too quickly, one of the feet catches and puts a great big gash in new lino.... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
LOL - well at least you can say to the misses

'I TOLD YOU SO'

never mind - pretend to start work on the kitchen next week - then say you can't do anything without damaging the lino so it'll all have to wait - grab a beer and retreat to the shed :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back