Linsteed Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently lifting floorboards and replacing ceilings, and was wondering if I should coat the floorboards and joist with boiled linsteed oil. What say ye?

The house is a Victorian house, and I was going to spray some woodworm prevention stuff, until I relised how toxic it is!

Bazdaa

Sponsored Links
personaly i wouldnt. Terrible claggy stuff. On live abord boats ive seen cider vinegar used to kill rot and worm. Makes you strongly want some fish and chips tho!

Linseed is not terribly claggy stuff if used correctly, ie sparingly. First it would be better to put on a brush coat of warmed b=raw oil, and let it dry. This i about a day at 24 deg. Then a couple of coats of boi;ed oil to taste, but very thin, and dry for each at 24 deg. It will take a couple of weeks before it feels properly dry, but it's great when it's done

Thanks for the info.

I was however looking to just feed the wood including the joist in my 3 floor victorian semi. I think thats OK, for the floowboards, but to do a whole house is it really worth it?

P.S. That is a question.

Bazdaa

Sponsored Links
personaly id leave it alone, if you cant see it let the wood breath. BTW my mate who was a boat builder made lovely finshed wooden fittings on his boats and he used MAZOLA! cooking oil.

A safety point about boilde linseed oil. BLO dries exothermically, i.e. it generates heat as it dries, so any rags used to wipe stains, brushes, hands, etc. need to be laid out flat to dry after use and before throwing away. Screwed up in a ball and tossed into a waste basket might result in a fire. I kid you not.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back