Lintel above new garage side door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks, first time (and definitely not the last) poster!

I’m putting a side door into my single-skin garage wall. The door will fit almost up to the wall plate that holds the roof truss (there will be no brick above the door). Question is - do I need a lintel, and if so, what would fit? The wall plate is 2x4 so a steel angle will probably sit too high. Hopefully a photo attached so you can see what I mean.

Thank you for any input!

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpeg
    IMG_3289.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
You will be fine without a lintel in this case as the wallplate will handle the span but if you want to be sure then screw a 4 X 2 on top of the wallplate between the rafters to double it up over the door.

For a bit more support you could also place a 5 or 6x2 across your trusses resting on top of the ceiling part, and under the sloping part, is the door going to open outwards? will it clear soffit/fascia.

Sponsored Links
Door opens inwards so no worries there - the soffit/fascia sits just on the door line luckily so still looks ok from the outside!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back