Lintel Above Patio Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I wasn't sure where to post this under doors/windows or in this section but here goes.......

We bought our property in 2005, it's a 1969 3 bed semi. Timber framed internal walls, brick skin external wall with cavity then block on the inside of the external wall.

In 2003, with the previous owners, a sliding upvc patio door was installed in the rear kitchen of 1890mm length and approx 2000mm height affixed to the outer brick skin wall below the bedroom. No lintel was installed at that time as we found out in 2008. From 2005-2008 we found the sliding door getting increasingly difficult to slide and bending/bowing to the sliding part plastics so much so that the sticky film on the double glazed units starting to become loose and peel on the outside and a clear gap appearing to the top and bottom of the sliding door where it closes. We wanted to redo some other windows so we called out the company who did the install for the previous owners as they seemed to have a good reputation and are a local family run business, when the chap came out we asked him to take a look at the rear patio door and he advised a lintel should be installed above this opening as the weight of the brickwork could be causing the door frame to bend under pressure therefore making it difficult to slide so in that contract of 2008 he quoted for an 'angle iron' to be fitted above that patio door of a certain length (which was noted as 2100mm on the contract) and we paid for this to be done, thereafter it was installed. Since 2008 the problem got increasingly worse to the stage this year we noticed a visible gap to the top and bottom of the sliding door where it closes causing draughts so we decided to have the door replaced like for like. We instructed a different company this time, still a local firm, as we lost faith in the previous company due to various issues and this new company also pointed out various cracks in the upvc frame indicating it was under too much stress. When the old frame was removed the lintel that came out was too short, it was sitting directly on the upvc frame and was exactly the same size of the frame rather than being longer and projected into the brick wall either side. This I believe was the cause of the premature failure of our door and subsequent dropped bricks above. So this new company re-installed a longer lintel above the new door in the proper manner.

Questions are:
Does BC need to be informed of the new lintel?
Should they have been informed of the lintel install of 2008 and who's responsible for that?
Should a lintel have been installed in 2003?
Would the previous company be liable for consequential damage caused by poor workmanship and premature failure of the door due to inadequate lintel installation?

Sorry for the long write up ;)

Any input greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's technically a structural alteration so B.C. should have been notified.
A lintel should have been installed in 2003.

Why did you callout the first company again, knowing that they had made a pig's ear of the first install?

There is a time limit for latent defects and as you became aware of the problem again in 2008, you might now be out of time.

Best thing now is perhaps to forget about it, now that a proper lintel has been installed.

It's technically a structural alteration so B.C. should have been notified.
A lintel should have been installed in 2003.

Why did you callout the first company again, knowing that they had made a pig's ear of the first install?

There is a time limit for latent defects and as you became aware of the problem again in 2008, you might now be out of time.

Best thing now is perhaps to forget about it, now that a proper lintel has been installed.

Hi there, thanks for the response. Regarding your question; "Why did you callout the first company again, knowing that they had made a pig's ear of the first install?"

We didn't know until now they made a pigs ear of it. In 2003 they installed the door for the prev owners and in 2008 we were none the wiser about such things being our first property we were a little 'wet behind the ears' but since 2008 when we first started to look at major work to the property we became more savvy about such things and I started doing more research. We assumed in 2008 they installed the lintel correctly and we should have no further issues with the door. We also went on other reviews via Checkatrade oh how wrong idea was that having since found out how that outfit operates and how difficult it actually is to leave a negative type response on anything, anyway that's a whole different story!

Oh well I was going to take this further now and report to FENSA and the like of this mess but wondering if I should not bother now as it might open a can of worms regarding BC. Although I did read somewhere if we employed a company to rectifiy a problem and they suggested the lintel they should be the ones to adhere to any BC requirements?? I might be wrong though........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back