Lintel advice for Bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to replace a window with bifold doors.

I want to use a fairly standard frame size of 2390 x 2090 so that the doors do not have to be manufacured specifically.

To accieve this i would need to add two rows of horizontal bricks at the top or cut and cement the bricks vertically.

I am thingking of retaining the existing lintel and adding a second lintel lower down to build up the additional bricks on. The doors i am looking at are supported by the base rail.

Are there any reasons why i shouldn't add a second lintel and retain the existing one?

The photo below shows what i am thingking, the green line highlights the existing lintel (roughly)

and the second line shows where i am thinking of adding the second.

Cheers

S7005635%20-%20Copy.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your proposition would give you difficulties. Use only the opening dimensions that you now have.
Pic & annotate the pic: from ground level to lintel for height, and reveal to reveal for width - send the pic to PVC Mfr's. It will work out possibly cheaper than your idea.

Sponsored Links
Just for clarification, I am retaining the current opening width its the height that I need to reduce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back