Lintel advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone see any problems with removing the patio doors and the single backdoor and installing a bifold unit instead.

what size steel would we be talking about, and what sort of cost, its a bungalow, with concrete tile roof. have a builder coming to have a look the weekend, and would like a rough idea at the size and cost of the lintel before he gets here.

have a mate who can sort the door , so just lintel price if you may

Complete opening would be 3m 90

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Nothing difficult about that. Should be a simeple case of removing the existing lintels and installing something like a 203X133 UB with a bottom plate.
Or it may well be more cost effective to use a Catnic for that opening...

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and im glad its a simple one. Can i ask a couple more questions, so i assume the 203 is the height,
and the 133 is the width of the beam, but can i ask whats a bottom plate. and what sort of money it would cost for such a beam.

Cheers again in advance.

Yes, the numbers are the dimensions of the beam, as you thought.

The bottom plate is a piece of steel welded to the bottom of the beam and sticking out, to carry the outer leaf of masonry. The beam itself would be positioned under the load bearing inner leaf and the plate would pick up the few courses of outer masonry.
Would work in a similar way if the wall isn't cavity.

Although as the doors would lead into an extension, you might be just as well using a wider beam and boxing it flush with the wall.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the numbers are the dimensions of the beam, as you thought.

The bottom plate is a piece of steel welded to the bottom of the beam and sticking out, to carry the outer leaf of masonry. The beam itself would be positioned under the load bearing inner leaf and the plate would pick up the few courses of outer masonry.
Would work in a similar way if the wall isn't cavity.

Although as the doors would lead into an extension, you might be just as well using a wider beam and boxing it flush with the wall.

and what size steel for that.....

catnic do a heavy duty lintel which is just a 203x133UB with a 6mm steel plate welded underneath, check out catnic's website, I'm sure most steel fabricators could knock up a cheap replica.

Gerant if want to work out if the sizes, do some studying at college or such like.

Cheers for the advice, have a builder coming tommorow, so at least i have a clue now.

Cheers again, might be back with a few more questions .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back