Lintel failure or subsidence

If the line of the crack happens to align with the edge of the lintel... is there really enough extra length to sit on the brick? I don't know what the over hang is supposed to be, but that looks short

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Would I be right in thinking that was a window originally rather than french doors?
I dont know to be honest. We only moved in 5 weeks ago. As far as I am aware the entire house was UPVCd approx 10 years ago - I'd imagine they were doors but made of timber which has a better support?

If the line of the crack happens to align with the edge of the lintel... is there really enough extra length to sit on the brick? I don't know what the over hang is supposed to be, but that looks short

Nozzle
Our plasterer took one look and said not subsidence as no cracks on outside at the same place, but likely that some movement in building from the hot summer had put pressure on weakest part which is that lintel. Comparing that lintel with all the others in our house it looks incredibly narrow and weaker and old. Putting a new metal lintel in as replacement, is that a big job?

I'd be wary of a plasterer giving structural advice, although he's on the right track regarding subsidence.

There is no such thing as a lintel not being strong enough. If it's not strong enough you will see a pile of bricks in the front room and on the patio.

A new lintel won't stop the wall moving

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't be to concerned as it only looks to be about 4' wide
If a new floor has been added then maybe that's put additional loading on the lintel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back