Lintel help re span length ?

19 May 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Am planning on knocking through a downstairs internal wall from kitchen through to lounge area. Wall is of breeze block type construction and supports a similar wall above. It is approximately 10 feet wide and butts into another internal hallway wall. I want to open the wall to 1800mm and insert a lintel to support the upstairs wall.
What size lintel do i need and how much of the lintel needs to sit on existing wall at either end.
Apologies for crude building references as not sure of terms etc. Please ask for info I'm sure i've left loads out.
Thanks for any help offered
Sponsored Links
A minimum of 100mm bearing, but normally 150mm
Thanks woody. like i said, i'm a little 'green' when it comes to this. so what you're saying is I'll need to get a lintel of at least 2m but preferably 2.1m if i wantto span a gap of 1800mm. What size should the lintel be, squared, 100mm x 100mm ?
Sponsored Links
Lintels generally come in 300mm increments to suit standard openings. So you would get a 2.1 lintel

The lintel will be as wide as the wall, so 100mm. As for type, you would go for an internal steel 'box' lintel (see Catnic or IG lintel sites), and these will be 150mm high

But a cheaper concrete lintel may do - either a 65mm high one, a 140mm high one (heavy though) or two 65mm ones one on top of the other. It depends on if there are any unusual loads on this - not just the wall above, but any beams etc in the loft.

Concrete ones should do normal domestic stuff though, at this span

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local