Lintel for 1800mm opening on gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I thinking of knocking through our kitchen on the gable end into our out house to make a larger kitchen. The opening span would be 1800mm in a wall with no cavity. (two hardbricks right up against each other as the house was build in 1890). There is only a bathroom above the kitchen with a pitched roof so it would be supporting one story. The walls thicknes is 200mm thick. Question is would two 2100x100x65 concrete lintels be sufficient. Or even 2100x215x65. are concrete lintel strong enough?

Sponsored Links
Concrete lintels can be strong enough but it will depend upon the loading from above and whether the remaining masonry above has a large degree of self-arching.

1.8m is not excessive but is right on the limit as to what is a structural design element.

If say for example, there were say 3 or 4 floor joists resting above this 1.8m opening as well as say a door opening into the bathroom (also directly above the 1.8m opening) then this would be extraordinary loading with very little self-arching.

The only thing above actual opening (as it is the gable end) would be bricks from the wall of the bathroom above and a window, and a pulin of the roof above that, not fogeting a purlin just above the opening from the outhouse we are knocking through to. Do you think some sort of steel lintle/beam would probably be needed? Im just trying to save on a bit of money using concrete. I would rather be safe than sorry though.

Im just trying to save on a bit of money using concrete. I would rather be safe than sorry though.
Indeed. going overboard is the safest bet.

Give the weirdy beards at Catnic teccie dep't a ring and present your scenario highlighting all the loads above. I'm sure they will give you the correct lintel if you promise to buy theirs.

Sponsored Links
Question is would two 2100x100x65 concrete lintels be sufficient. Or even 2100x215x65. are concrete lintel strong enough?

I would use 2 n.o 2100*100*140 to be on the safe side. Or alternatively, use a std steel box like nose has suggested (Catnic, IG etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back