Lintel/moisture content wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just putting doors on this opening. It’s an old coal bunker.

93195CAC-10B7-4881-B423-BF3FE9E92539.jpeg

Inside are the joists under my kitchen. I checked them all using a wood probe and they are registering about 17% on the pine setting. This isn’t too concerning given interior ones are 13%.

however, one bit of wood in there is really high, like 35-50% moisture.

this one, by the opening underneath the wall

897570FC-5780-4B76-8082-834550569CAE.jpeg

I felt above this and it’s brick/concrete above.

So, forgive my ignorance on this, but is this bit of wood a lintel? Or is that the concrete bit above it? It kind of juts out a bit and one of my friends (builder) I think said that was the lintel. I just want to check this very damp bit of wood isn’t structural and liable to break and bring my wall with it!

it’s a 2 by 4 laid on its side (ie 2 inches high, 4 inches width ways). The joists are 2 by 4 laid the Normal way.

not sure what this is supporting or whether it was there to nail the hatch frame into.

Once I can establish what this is, if I get it all properly enclosed will wood lose its moisture content? Can it dry out once it’s no longer exposed (I have a sheet to cover the opening but it’s not particularly efficient)

lastly there are a few holes in the render above - perhaps water is going down the wall and making the wood damp?

thanks for your help. All of it seems solid, I can get a screwdriver in a little bit to all of them but not totally rotted, seem reasonable Nick just want to ensure I don’t end up needing new joists - advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back