Aclimatising wood

M

marsaday

I am going to lay a new joisted floor in my attic. The wood is now in my conservatory and i am waiting to put the steels in first. Once in, do i leave the joists in the attic to get used to the new moisture content or is this not worth doing ?

Sponsored Links
Probably not, as the room 'presumably' will have heating added after installation. So even if acclimatised up there they will have to do it all over again when the heating kicks in in the winter.

Good building practice will eliminate or reduce problems due to shrinkage/expansion.

I am going to lay a new joisted floor in my attic. The wood is now in my conservatory and i am waiting to put the steels in first. Once in, do i leave the joists in the attic to get used to the new moisture content or is this not worth doing ?

look at the joists. as you will never find a straight one..
make sure the curve is up.towards the ridge.... best i can say in laymans terms...

Sponsored Links
Probably graded dry or KD if from a timber merchants, in which case no worries. If a proper loft conversion then they should be graded.

As long as it's a decent graded product, has not been left out in the rain to saturate in the last couple of months & has been in the cons for at least 48 hours, the difference in humidity levels will have a negligible effect.

Ok no need to worry then.

The timber is from travis perkins and is C16 and C24.

I bought all C16 in 3.6m lengths, but they gave me 4.8m lengths and half in C24. so i got an extra 72m in length i didnt need at a price of £1.80 /m which = £150 approx they have given me.

Very strange, but it was what they had in stock. I got a good price as well for the timber so not sure how they can afford to give away so much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back