New trusses and raising wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im doing a loft conversion with new attic trusses going in
My question is I want to leave the existing ceiling joists in and put the new attic trusses on top and then bolt / screw them together as it’s a lot of work taking every ceiling down when we are still living here and will be open to the elements

as my roof is a hipped roof I carnt just slide the new ones next to the old
So my question is can I raise the wall plate in between the old ceiling joists by 70mm as to clear the old ceiling joists
Means screwing timber inbetween the 600mm joists that are already there is that ok

Sponsored Links
I've not come across this before.

What building regs are bothered about, pardon the wording, is your roof getting sucked off by the wind. So high winds blowing over a roof creates lift. So the wallplate is strapped down and the trusses clipped to the wallplate. So the question is, would building control be happy with short wallplates screwed onto the existing wallplate? And I don't know tbh.

Would be interesting if you asked building control and let us know what they advise.

I don’t know it’s either that or prop the ceilings up cut the ceiling joists off and fix new wall plates on top and reattach ceiling joists to new wall plates on hangers

I can't understand the issue.

You have a major logistical problem in trying to add the new trusses to that roof while still living there, and I can't see what you hope to achieve with your plan.

Either way a significant part of the roof needs to come off before the trusses are fitted, and it doesn't matter whether the trusses sit on the plate or above it in terms of the work involved.

But yes, the ceiling joists can stay in, and yes the trusses can be packed above the plate. Whether it's a good idea to bolt the existing joists to the new truss chords is another matter.

Sponsored Links
I can't understand the issue.

You have a major logistical problem in trying to add the new trusses to that roof while still living there, and I can't see what you hope to achieve with your plan.

Either way a significant part of the roof needs to come off before the trusses are fitted, and it doesn't matter whether the trusses sit on the plate or above it in terms of the work involved.

But yes, the ceiling joists can stay in, and yes the trusses can be packed above the plate. Whether it's a good idea to bolt the existing joists to the new truss chords is another matter.

yea I know what work is involved with the roof
So your saying that packing up in-between the existing joists at 600mm is ok
And why would bolting the new to the old be a problem please
I’m trying to achieve that while the roof is off for the couple of days there is still a ceiling between the floor and the sky lol
Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it

Have you had the roof trusses actually designed yet, or are you just thinking about it?

Hi im doing a loft conversion with new attic trusses going in
My question is I want to leave the existing ceiling joists in and put the new attic trusses on top and then bolt / screw them together as it’s a lot of work taking every ceiling down when we are still living here and will be open to the elements

as my roof is a hipped roof I carnt just slide the new ones next to the old
So my question is can I raise the wall plate in between the old ceiling joists by 70mm as to clear the old ceiling joists
Means screwing timber inbetween the 600mm joists that are already there is that ok
You mean all that will be left intact (roof wise) are the ceiling joists and some grotty ceilings? Is it really worth the hassle trying to preserve them? There will be new electrics to consider, wall plate straps, the removal (probably) of ceiling binders etc.

You mean all that will be left intact (roof wise) are the ceiling joists and some grotty ceilings? Is it really worth the hassle trying to preserve them? There will be new electrics to consider, wall plate straps, the removal (probably) of ceiling binders etc.
The wall plate that’s there now is strapped down already
The ceilings there now are fine as the house is only 15 years old

Would you not like to bed your own shiny new LEVEL wall plate though?
Don’t know what you mean mate the existing wall plate is bedded in and level so packing it up will still be level
Taking the existing ceilings down isn’t a option really that why I was asking about packing up the existing wall plate to overcome this problem

You will need to install the trusses to the manufacturer's design guidance. That won't normally allow for fixing to the bottom chords unless you asked for that to be allowed for. In practical terms, trying not to disturb the ceiling is futile, and in real terms you should not fix any existing ceiling to new trusses or floors as the ceiling will just crack when the new components settle.

The trusses will still need to be leveled and aligned, despite it being a relatively new building.

If the trusses where designed to sit at a certain level, if you alter that, you also alter the tail and eaves/ soffit dimensions.

You may need to be clear about what you are trying to achieve and whether it's actually possible or even practical, as you may just end up messing about for no purpose or benefit.

You will need to install the trusses to the manufacturer's design guidance. That won't normally allow for fixing to the bottom chords unless you asked for that to be allowed for. In practical terms, trying not to disturb the ceiling is futile, and in real terms you should not fix any existing ceiling to new trusses or floors as the ceiling will just crack when the new components settle.

The trusses will still need to be leveled and aligned, despite it being a relatively new building.

If the trusses where designed to sit at a certain level, if you alter that, you also alter the tail and eaves/ soffit dimensions.

You may need to be clear about what you are trying to achieve and whether it's actually possible or even practical, as you may just end up messing about for no purpose or benefit.
The eves /soffit isn’t a problem at all as the overhangs are bolted on due to the hight of the trusses 4.3 meters
They Carnt be manufactured as one piece

I’m trying to achieve the ceilings staying in while we fit the new trusses as we are living here and taking down the existing ceilings before ain't a option as the bedrooms will be open
the extra hight on the wall plates isn’t s problem either and will prob be better for the eves and fascia as well
Ceilings cracking again ain’t a problem

None of it seems to be a problem then.
Thanks for all the reply’s mate it’s not that I’m trying to save the ceilings as such as there just plasterboard and easy replaced
it’s just we have to live here while it’s going on if you know what I mean and need something between the sky and the rooms and a temp roof is impossible due to new trusses being craned on
Only other thing I could think of was support the ceilings from below which can easy be done and notch the ceiling joists out and slide the new new trusses in
that way to keep the same hight on the wall plate
The center part of the roof is fine as the new can be slotted next to the old
it’s the back and front as there going the wrong way as I have a 4 way hipped roof at the mo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back