New trusses and raising wall plate

Thanks for all the reply’s mate it’s not that I’m trying to save the ceilings as such as there just plasterboard and easy replaced
it’s just we have to live here while it’s going on if you know what I mean and need something between the sky and the rooms and a temp roof is impossible due to new trusses being craned on
Only other thing I could think of was support the ceilings from below which can easy be done and notch the ceiling joists out and slide the new new trusses in
that way to keep the same hight on the wall plate
The center part of the roof is fine as the new can be slotted next to the old
it’s the back and front as there going the wrong way as I have a 4 way hipped roof at the mo
Your roof will be exposed for days until there is enough framing in place to erect covers.

I hope it stays dry for you.:)

Sponsored Links
Your roof will be exposed for days until there is enough framing in place to erect covers.

I hope it stays dry for you.:)
Shouldn’t be for that long as I’m having 3 chippys helping me
and he recons roof off one day as tiles will already be stripped trusses on next and felt and batten the day after to get it coverd up quite quickly even if with temp tarps
Obviously loads of other stuff but that’s the
main ones so hopefully cod is on my side for 3-3 days

Lol.
That all sounds quite dandy, but might not fit in with reality.
Not a prayer...
due to new trusses being craned on
The crane takes an hour to set up at best and that is in a non busy area. The trusses will likely rock up about 9:00 a.m.

Being a hipped truss roof means the hip end locations (determining overhang) will have to be worked out on site as the trusses are loaded into place. Quite time consuming.

If they are raised tie attic trusses then they will likely need the glide shoes all putting in place prior to craning the trusses on. This will be another setting out (time consuming) headache.

Crane operators only have one speed and that is careful (slow). Each truss will need to be lashed and unlashed, usually in difficult circumstances whilst perched on top of the delivery waggon. These trusses will be very tall. Hopefully the truss delivery guy will wait, otherwise you may have to unload him and have somewhere to store the trusses. You should get it all on one waggon. You may get it all craned off in a day.

You may need an internal scaffold (lose the ceilings) in order to unlash the trusses (in position) safely.

A day to fit and a day to lath and felt a craned hipped roof - lol. Next you'll be telling us the chippies need to trim out for a stair well too.

P.S. It gets dark about 6:00pm.(y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not a prayer...

The crane takes an hour to set up at best and that is in a non busy area. The trusses will likely rock up about 9:00 a.m.

Being a hipped truss roof means the hip end locations (determining overhang) will have to be worked out on site as the trusses are loaded into place. Quite time consuming.

If they are raised tie attic trusses then they will likely need the glide shoes all putting in place prior to craning the trusses on. This will be another setting out (time consuming) headache.

Crane operators only have one speed and that is careful (slow). Each truss will need to be lashed and unlashed, usually in difficult circumstances whilst perched on top of the delivery waggon. These trusses will be very tall. Hopefully the truss delivery guy will wait, otherwise you may have to unload him and have somewhere to store the trusses. You should get it all on one waggon. You may get it all craned off in a day.

You may need an internal scaffold (lose the ceilings) in order to unlash the trusses (in position) safely.

A day to fit and a day to lath and felt a craned hipped roof - lol. Next you'll be telling us the chippies need to trim out for a stair well too.

It’s not a hipped roof it was a hipped roof not going to be now no
Truss company said there in packs as well
I’m just saying what the crane operator said and what the Chippy's said
And the crane is a 30meter hiab lorry
10 trusses in total

Not a prayer...

Don’t get what you mean a raised tie attick truss mate they are as the pic below just a normal triangle
And I will be propping the existing ceilings up inside so they can be walked on and a step ladder be put on so they can be unlashed ok

Attachments

• DBE6B58E-4F8E-4385-BE6D-6494ABE68EE2.jpeg
    DBE6B58E-4F8E-4385-BE6D-6494ABE68EE2.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 91
It’s not a hipped roof it was a hipped roof not going to be now no
Does the two days include building up those gable ends? You will need a table lift and some very quick brickies.

50 degree pitch too, ouch. Make sure your chippies are over 9 feet tall.(y)

And I will be propping the existing ceilings up inside so they can be walked on and a step ladder be put on so they can be unlashed ok
Balance the step ladder on what? You can't plank it because they will be in the way of the truss chords.

Does the two days include building up those gable ends? You will need a table lift and some very quick brickies.

No that’s being bricked up after but I can put some tarp on the gables while it’s being done
What you mean a table lift mate

Balance the step ladder on what? You can't plank it because they will be in the way of the truss chords.
I’m gonna support the ceings from below with scaffold boards and acrows everywhere where the steps will be sitting above
The middle part will be ok as the old are going the same way as the new and the new ones miss where the old ones are I’m sure it will work it’s self out hopefully
And the crane company this is there main job lifting trusses and they said they can easyly do it hopefully they are right

I think you need to be a little more realistic on what's involved and how long things will take.

You probably can't control the delivery day, so what if it's raining on that day, and the days after. I think a random heavy shower day is often worse than it just raining all day as it's all stop start, cover uncover.

And "what ifs" play a big part in the plan going to plan or not. At the moment everything is planned around everything being perfect, and even then it's really optimistic to expect this to be done in three days.

1 chippy is 6ft 4 lol

And the crane is a 30meter hiab lorry
10 trusses in total
How is a Hiab going to reach the furthest point of the building?

You have a diagonal bracing headache too. You either sheathe the whole interior with ply or deal with the 4"x 1" bracing timber thickness accordingly. Diagonal bracing must connect to the wall plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back