Levelling Joists

If you have fixings long enough, fixing down into the original joists (rather than the sisters) would be mechanically more sound.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks, will bear that in mind. I'm going to try and put cross pieces/noggins perpendicular to the sisters/joists too where height allows to give it more rigidity and to give more fixing points.

Is OSB2 secured with screws the current preference for a subfloor? Here in France it is the median price option with Agglomere (Chipboard) the cheapest and Plywood the most expensive (by far).
Thanks

Hi

My 1930s house had unlevel floors. They were low at the sides of the room and high in the middle.

I ended up levelling my floor joists by tacking on shim cut from scrap wood. then putting the timber floorboards back in. This gave me a level floor to install over floor underfloor heating boards.

Attached are some photos. This was done about 5 yrs ago and I’m not yet aware of any problems :D (fingers crossed)

Attachments

• D9464722-A518-4D5F-87FE-CD55AF7ECE02.jpeg
    D9464722-A518-4D5F-87FE-CD55AF7ECE02.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 139
  • D5C3302F-109C-4F16-BB30-4E12065D516F.jpeg
    D5C3302F-109C-4F16-BB30-4E12065D516F.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 100
Thanks Kenny, but I have already gone down the sistering route due to the room size and the differences in height.

Can anyone offer advice on the subfloor? OSB2, Chipboard or Ply?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
P5 chipboard is okay, and more manageable than ply, as well as being cheaper, but glue the edges. I'd never use OSB, but I know some do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back