Lintel problems / failing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im looking for some advice please. Ive attached a pic of our utility window from the outside. As you can see theres a whopping big crack. There is also a bit of a fine hairline crack on the render above where it looks like the lintel is... but can't capture that on camera well enough to post. There is NO cracking internally at all. My husband says its fine and just leave alone... (well of course cos its gonna cost ££) but I worry and think its something that needs looked at? Do we need a new lintel? Is that the extent of the problem or could there be more structural damage above that the render is hiding? Also concerned that before we bought the house previous owners had a lot of shoddy work done including cheap UPVC windows that a friend helped them install 'themselves'.... could that be part of problem? Also we had a small single story extension built at the rear last year (2.5x3m) - it's a few meters from the problem area but could the extension in any way be causing this? Pulling on the original house.

The house is a 1930's semi. Do we need a structural engineer to assess it before fixing or can we just get a builder in. Help!

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 20150615_084520.jpg
    20150615_084520.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks as though the two skins of your wall are separating. What is above the lintel? have there been any funny goings on in the inside?
Frank

The external half of the wall was built off the old frame and the old frame was further forward.

It's such a short span so it's not an issue. Listen to your husband.

You could do with sealing that gap though.

Sponsored Links
Hi - thanks for the replies! There is no problems internally at all. Above the lintel is render on outside and the room above is the bathroom. So it's not a problem if the 2 skins of the wall are separating? Thanks again and I will need to show my husband this (reluctantly) - he has won :)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back