Lintel replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing a set of patio doors and have been advised to replace the steel lintel as the old one was damaged slightly (slight cut when removing) , this sounds like a major job and sounds expensive?

Sponsored Links
It is a fairly simple proceedure but probably not one that a novice should attempt without help from a pro. It will involve the use of a couple of Acrow props and Strongboy supports that will allow you to support the brickwork above the lintel while you remove the old and install the new. The gap between the new lintel and the brickwork can be packed with roofing slate and repointed in with the rest. It will probably take 2 men a good 1/2 day to do and shouldn't really cost you anymore than £400 but obviously I would recommend getting some estimates in before you quote me on that as there are a lot of factors that influence the price of any job.

Sorry, forgot to mention that you can hire the Acrow props and the Strongboys from any decent hire shop for around a tenner for a week per pair. This may help....
http://www.sgb.co.uk/products/building/strongboy.php4

If it's a cavity lintel then it is not going to be done for £400.

You will need to support ceiling joists (if they rest on the wall above the lintel) and also the blockwork of the inner skin. You will need 2 acrows and 2 strongboys for every 800mm of opening width (one outside every 800 and one inside every 800).

Plus you will need a new lintel (approx £100 depending on width).

After it is in, you will need to have the inner section plastered and decorated. If there's coving, this may not survive either!

Then there's all the rubbish to dispose of.

If I was pricing this I would charge £850 + vat absolute minimum.

thing is, you two giving different prices makes item 9 a good reason not to give prices, besides netither of you have actually seen the job

Sponsored Links
Let's see a pic if possible? The 'slight cut' that's described may be irrelevant and someone's looking for a job.

Does anyone know if you're allow to weld it to repair lintel ?

As shaggy say, a photo would help a lot.

I am well aware of your addiction to quoting item 9 Breezer, and that is why I wrote this......'' but obviously I would recommend getting some estimates in before you quote me on that as there are a lot of factors that influence the price of any job. ''

The original poster is surely not stupid enough to rush out armed with their £400 adamant that it won't cost any more . People come and ask for an opinion and that was my opinion based on the facts I had. Rightly so , if it is a cavity lintel then the cost will rise and that's why I recommend getting other estimates for the job.

DAZB said:
The original poster is surely not stupid enough to rush out armed with their £400 adamant that it won't cost any more .

i bet they do

DAZB said:
Rightly so , if it is a cavity lintel then the cost will rise and that's why I recommend getting other estimates for the job.

which is what item 9 says, get at least 3 quotes, since we can only go on information given which may / not be of any use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back