Lintel Safety Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I want to remove a bricked up window opening filled in 20 years ago to create a large door way. The exisiting concrete lintels on the internal and external walls are 7" x 4" but only rest on 100mm of brickwork either side. I've read that this should really be 150mm. Is is that the regs have increased the width and therefore I would need to either replace with a larger lintel which is problematic or one idea would be to site a new lintel directly under the old creating a full 150mm overhang onto original walls?

Any thoughts please.

Ta
S

Sponsored Links
A 100mm bearing might be ok. Depends on the span of the lintel, the load above it and the compressive strength of the bearing masonry. You say it was blocked up 20 years ago so it hasn't been under load for that time. But if it was under load for any significant length of time before then without causing any problem then I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for that, the opening is 5' 3" with the lintel 100mm plus either side, supporting external wall and first floor/roof etc. Its just looks a bit short. Considering builders to quote to see options and confirm either way.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back