lintel type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last 4 years i have rented out a property. recently it became empty so i thought i would upgrade the bathroom. I noticed there was a good 1/2" gap between the floor and the skirting board ( bathroom upstairs ) i ripped the floor boards out and could clearly see a crack in the wall, at the height of the top of the joists, so some dropping has occured. From below ( downstairs ) there is the front door directly below, and the lintel is just a 4 x 2" piece of wood, layed the weak way round. I think when the door was changed to a upvc one it may have disturbed the old wooden lintel. Anyhow the bathroom joists are directly on top of the lintel so hence why the floor has dropped the 1/2" I went out today and purchased a standard size concrete lintel 4" x 2" x 4ft long. But then i thought is a concrete lintel sufficient or should it be a steel beam ? I havent fitted it yet, as had to pick up some akro,s on way home. But any advice would be greatly appreciated before I maybe make a mistake , thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It is not unusual to see a shrinkage gap at the junction betwixt a timber floor and timber skirting.

Their combined shrinkage is enough to create 10-15mm gap.

Evening. Take a look at the catnic website, it will give you the correct beam for the job. If you have an old house it may be a solid wall so you need a beam/beams which will support the whole width. If it is a newer house you will have two walls held together by wall ties, so you will need a beam (catnic) to support the inner and outer wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back