Lintel with cracks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi building experts!

I've just stripped the plaster from the walls of my 1927 kitchen/diner to expose the brickwork, its exposed a lintel that's above my patio doors - the house has been standing since 1927 and so at first I wasn't too concerned about the cracks visible down the length of the lintel but thought I ought to just check before proceeding any further.

I was considering perhaps some screwable rods that height of the lintel that I could screw up and into it to give it some support?

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Get it removed and replaced.

Looks like the load has started to shear it in half.

ibby";p="2296589 said:

Looks like the load has started to shear it in half.[/quote

This lintel has been in place since 1927 though, the cracks could have been there a year since first build for all we know, due to settling oof the house/foundations?

What's the problem? I can't see one.

Sponsored Links
sergeantash";p="2296623 said:

Looks like the load has started to shear it in half.[/quote

This lintel has been in place since 1927 though, the cracks could have been there a year since first build for all we know, due to settling oof the house/foundations?

Could be.

I am sure one of the other members will provide insight on this issue by tommrow :mrgreen:

That is a timber lintel, and those are not cracks - they are shakes/splits which occurred soon after installation as the timber dried.

Nothing to do with loading or movement, and not a problem

Thanks chaps, the hardest part about DIYNot is knowing who to listen to :D but I'm with the latter posts, its been there since 1927...if it was going to fail it would have by now :D

p.s. I scrawled 'Ash was ere' on the lnitel for whomever uncovers it next, its not a discovery unfortunately hehe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back