Lintels and Building Regs

H

helium4amc

Hi, long time reader, first time poster here. I have many answers to questions here since I bought a house in March. Hopefully my questions won't be a problem!

I have a Victorian terrace (~1904) in Plymouth which has had a leaky roof for some time, with water dripping onto two wooden lintels on the top floor of the house.

The first is a lintel above a window opening. The opening is 1500 mm wide and the lintel is 225 mm deep by 150 mm high (9" x 6") and 1800 mm long.

The second lintel spans the opening to the bay at the front of the house. It is 150 mm by 150 mm (6" x 6") and roughly 3000 mm long.

The roof is being replaced in the next few weeks with one that doesn't leak like a sieve and my questions are thus:

1. Do I need building control approval to replace the lintels?
2. Can I replace them like-for-like with (treated) wooden lintels of the same size?
3. Alternatively, is it legitimate to bolt together smaller pieces of wood (e.g. 2 off 150 mm by 75 mm for the second lintel)?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Andrew

Sponsored Links
My view on it would be you would need to submit a BR application as this is a structural application... even though you will be replacing like-for-like. You could do this on a Building Notice and you may be asked to have some calculations produced to justify the proposed timber lintels. If you were going for steel, this wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Thanks for the quick reply DevilDamo. I gave the building control people in Plymouth borough council a ring to check and the guy there told me I don't need a building notice as I am replacing "like-for-like" (apparently, this counts even if I put steel or concrete in instead), which is good to know.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Ah ok, that's good to know then :) At least you have had confirmation from BC :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back