Do I need Building Regs to widen doorway on old single storey extension??

26 Aug 2016
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all
Hoping somebody can help as I've had conflicting opinions! I have a 2 bed terraced that at some point in the distant past (80s I believe) had a single storey extension added to the rear of the kitchen to make it into a 3 bed with a downstairs bathroom which you entered via a door in the end wall of the kitchen. I'm moving the bathroom back into bed 3 and would like to widen the door way into the single storey extension to make it part of the kitchen. I have removed the plaster above the door frame in the extension (which is the original rear wall of the house) and there is a concrete lintel which runs across the width of the extension - 1700mm. The door frame is currently 700 mm (in the centre of the wall) and I want to widen the opening to 1200 mm approx. As I will only be widening the opening below a previously installed lintel will I require building regs?? as in will it count as structural changes?? Many thanks for any help. Ela
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I would apply to be on the safe side. It is a structural alteration and a BCO will check all is in order / safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local