Fire doors - Required when extending house?

• Thread starter BuildingNovice
  • Start date
B

BuildingNovice

I am building a single storey rear extension to a normal sized 3 bed semi.

Does anyone please know if the regulations require us to have the following as fire doors?

• The downstairs doors in the existing house (i.e. do these need to be replaced)

The only internal door in the extension, which is a bathroom door

A door interfacing rear room in house with extension

Sponsored Links
Hard to say without a drawing or a better description of your house/proposed works but generally only the doors off the stairwell need to be fire rated. Although as your house is existing the existing doors probably won't need upgrading just any new ones (if they're off the stairwell).

Thanks Freddy,

I've reviewed the B regs guidance and it seems to only require fire doors where a loft is being added (i.e. houses with more than 2 floors), and between house/garage.

I don't think single storey extensions give rise to a requirement, but just want to be double sure.

Correct. You do not require fire doors unless you're adding a (min) third storey and like you say... if you have a door between an integral garage and the house.

Sponsored Links
Probably not, but you might require fire doors if there are any rooms-within-rooms which do not have direct access to the escape route.

Thanks OwainDIYer

There is a bathroom in the extension whose only door is to a corridor that has an external side door - it also has an opening Velux in the roof, but that is quite high up.

Do you think we may need a fire door for this?

The fire door situation only really comes into force if you're going for a loft conversion (i.e. adding a third storey). FD's are only required to habitable rooms off the staircase and a bathroom isn't considered as a habitable room.

Lets not get this thread mixed up with the requirements for a loft conversion eh ;)

FD's are only required to habitable rooms off the staircase and a bathroom isn't considered as a habitable room.
There was that thread on here not so long ago where the OP's inspector required one though, as burning candles in the bathroom is now more popular! :LOL:

Or watching music video's on laptops with them purched on the edge of the bath ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back