fire regs for single storey extension 2017

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to build a single storey rear extension and while budgeting I'm getting a bit confused over the fire regs.

The architect and one contractor quoting pointed out that I have to either fit a fire door in every room or a fire alarm in every room to comply with fire regs.

To me that sounds like an overkill for a small house and single storey extension. Since regs change every now and then I want to make sure the budget is allocated correctly to comply with the current requirements.

Simple plan of house below,

Untitled-1.jpg

The red lines is the formation of the rear extension. Red line across the old kitchen is a split of WC/Utility areas. The old french doors will form an open plan opening to the extension. This is it pretty much, at present I have battery powered smoke alarms on hallway and landing upstairs and, a heat alarm in the kitchen.

I imagine the new alarms will have to be mains connected with battery backup, but also interlinked?

Sponsored Links
You need to change your architect.
As long as you have an external door or at least an escape window in the new extension, no need for all the other nonsense you have been advised
to incorporate.

For what it's worth, the last extension I had required me to fit two interlinked mains powered smoke alarms (one on each floor) plus a heat detector. This, apparently, was because of the open plan nature of the downstairs/kitchen arrangements and how these were exposed to my stairs. I was also renewing the consumer unit at the same time so I can't remember exactly which aspect of the works made the BCO require it.

Do your plans include the removal of any doors in a similar way?

You need to change your architect.
Thanks, thinking about it :p

As long as you have an external door or at least an escape window in the new extension, no need for all the other nonsense you have been advised
to incorporate.

4 meter bifolding doors should hopefully do it then :)

Sponsored Links
For what it's worth, the last extension I had required me to fit two interlinked mains powered smoke alarms (one on each floor) plus a heat detector. This, apparently, was because of the open plan nature of the downstairs/kitchen arrangements and how these were exposed to my stairs. I was also renewing the consumer unit at the same time so I can't remember exactly which aspect of the works made the BCO require it.

Do your plans include the removal of any doors in a similar way?

My extension is at the back and there is no open plan with the only staircase of the house to the first floor. There is though a large open space formed between existing dining/living and the new kitchen extension.

So as you said I expect a similar requirement to your description but not the entire house. I have called the LABC now to get feedback on this.

Ok, I've spoken to a BCO over the phone and they confirmed that they only need smoke alarms on the landings and one heat detector for the kitchen.

I have to do full plans so this will get confirmed at the b.regs stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back