Lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
A friend has just bought a flat knowing that the UPVC existing windows needed changing but when she got in touch with the managing agents, because apparently she needs to get a window license, she was told to be aware that the lintels have probably bowed and now having looked at the windows closely you can see that they have bowed in the middle and will not in fact open.
On looking at the outside of the block of flats their are lintels on the upper flat 3 windows, but on my friends property all you can see is a new line of bricks above two of her three windows. The lower flat only has one lintel the other two are missing.

Is the owner of the block liable for this and does it come under building regs?

Sponsored Links
You'd have to check the terms of the lease or management contract but structure is normally a shared cost. If the details you gave are correct I would certainly class this as a structural issue. (by correct, I mean that the windows are in fact unsupported and not supported by some other means that you are not aware of)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back