Lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a 1960's half pebble dashed council estate type house with wooden windows. I'm going to change out the windows for upvc double glazing. As far as I can tell there are no lintels on the ground floor windows. My question is would the upstairs have any lintels, even just concrete lintels? The top half of the house is pebble dashed so it is difficult to asses it. I would say it's unlikely to have metal type lintels because the pebble dashing covers everything where the metal would poke out. Is there a possibility that concrete lintels were used to bridge the gap? I don't relish the thought of having to pay for scaffolding etc as I only budgeted for the windows.

Sponsored Links
Concrete boot lintels were the most common method in the 60s, but it may be timber on the first floors.

No boot lintels on the downstairs windows, so probably just built up off the window frames. For the upstairs is there a way to check if theres concrete lintels boot or otherwise in place? Pebble dash hides everything so I'm guessing it will have to be a bit of drilling.

Theres concrete lintels over the doors, so they were using them. The lower windows have a linear soldier course of longer than modern bricks so it's going to be a pain sourcing more of those if they crumble when pulling them out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back